Friday, April 19, 2013

A Jewish Lullaby from Act I Scene 2 of the Grand Opera "Leibe Macht Frei"

The lullaby taught by Aaron (14) to Lucia (8) from the libretto in Act I Scene 2 of Liebe Macht Frei a Grand Opera in three acts and nine scenes as he overhears her coaxing her baby dolly to sleep:

You cannot command a baby to sleep
But lull her with quiet and song
She will close her eyes in slumber so deep
Held fast by arms made strong
Carrying the weight of God's Scriptures
night and day
In practice as well as in thought
By mothers and fathers obedient to say
"I'll teach you what I was taught."

This is the lullaby sung to me
I'll remember it until I die.
Some day I'll sing it to my own baby
With my true love standing by
And share the secrets of a mothers prayer
In keeping with Jewish tradition
Forever faithful, always there
Behind me in quiet petition

"When your eyes are open
True light is dim,
But slumber brings clarity
And quiet within.

Busyness worries and cares
Of the day
All hinder God's message
So now let us pray.

Oh God of our fathers
To this child bring sleep
And into Thy bosom
Forever to keep.

So, close your lids gently
With peace from above
And wake from your rest
And walk in God's love.

Tell me now, tell me true
Did that song work for you?
Did you sleep every time?
I wish I knew such a rhyme

If you teach me what those
pretty words say,
It will be a secret I will
never betray.
We can be friends, you can
use my bat.
Why do you wear that little hat?

P.J. Hereford -1999

No comments:

Post a Comment